Barren Island Volcano,Andaman,India
Reach Barren Islands
Barren Island Erupts Again
- NIO said that a team on board research ship RV Sindhu Sankalp found the volcano spewing ash on the afternoon of january 23.
- The Team found the volcano erupting in small episodes lasting about five to ten Minutes.
- The volcano was revisited on January 26 and the team found the spurts of blasts and smoke continuing still.
- The researchers sais they did not land on the island because it was deemed to be "too dangerous".
- Scientists surveying the basin have identified several small submerged volcanoes in a linear chain called volcanic arc.
- The volcanic island is uninhabited and its northern part is, as the name suggests, barren and devoid of vegetation.
- Indian citizens can visit the island, located around 140KM northeast of the Andamans capital city of Port-Blair, by chartered boats after obtaining permission from the forest department.
- Researchers said they've collected samples from the Vicinity of the Island that will help in deciphering the nature of present and past volcanic activity the area.
Active Volcano In South Asia
An eruption began on 28th May 2005. An ash plume was erupted from a vent on the W side of the summit. Lava flows were produced. The eruption may have been precipitated by the great Sumatra earthquake in December 2004. Continued ash emissions have been reported between 2005 and 2008. On 3rd January 2010 ash emissions reached a height of 1.5 km.
Barren Island Sea Plane Ticket Cost
The Port Blair - Barren island aerial view
Schedule and Tickets for Sea Plane.
Commercial quires,schedule and Tickets for Sea Plane to Barren Island contact Port Blair
Ticketing Counter ANIDCO