Fisheries Museum is located nearby the Marina Park, adjacent to Rajiv Gandhi Water sports complex, Port Blair, Andaman . The museum is located at a distance of almost 3km from port blair STS bus terminus / Aberdeen Bazar. It is a well-known tourist destination in the Andaman Islands. Ecosystem for tropical plants, animals underwater marine life with detailed informative coverage in boards could be seen here. Various collections of fishes, corals and shells are housed in small aquariums are in display like leatherbacks, hawksbills, rabbit fish,mangrove crabs ,mollusca, reef fishes ,butterfly fish,clown fish,ichthyofauna, green turtles, found in waters of the Indo-Pacific oceon and Bay of Bengal. In total , more than 1200 species of fishes have been reported from the surrounding seas of the andaman islands .Out of which, 300 are commercial species. Marine life species which almost all are exclusive to the Andaman and Nicobar Islands and are rarely found anywhere else in the world, leave alone the Indian sub-continent. The museum is not only a success among tourists but is also frequently visited by the local people of Port Blair and the surrounding areas or towns.
| Timings |
|Day ||Time |
|Mondays ||Closed ||- |
|Tuesday ||09:00 AM to 01.00 PM ||02.00 PM to 04.45 PM |
|Wednesday ||09:00 AM to 01.00 PM ||02.00 PM to 04.45 PM |
|Thursday ||09:00 AM to 01.00 PM ||02.00 PM to 04.45 PM |
|Friday ||09:00 AM to 01.00 PM ||02.00 PM to 04.45 PM |
|Saturday ||09:00 AM to 01.00 PM ||02.00 PM to 04.45 PM |
|Sunday ||09:00 AM to 01.00 PM ||02.00 PM to 04.45 PM |
|Second Saturdays ||Closed ||Closed |
|Public Holidays ||Closed ||Closed |
|Entry Fee |
|Pax ||Fee |
|Adults ||₹ 5 |
|Children ||₹ 3 |
- On 5-10-1997, Hon’ble Lt. Governor Andaman and Nicobar Islands, named Shri Ishwari Prasad Gupta had inaugurated the Fisheries Museum.
- Fisheries Museum not only close to a) the Rajiv Gandhi Water Sports Complex b) Marina-Park- an excellent tourist spot c) The Children’s Traffic Park- for kids
- Over 350 species of fishes are preserved within the Museum.
- Large number of small to large sea shells are in display in Fisheries Museum.
- Colorful corals and corals diapsly stored behind aquarium with glass walls are kept here.
- Photography is prohibited.
- You can reach here from aberdeen bazar/ Port Blair bus terminus by walk ,bus,auto or car.It is about 3 km from main bus terminus in Port Blair.